Sunday, November 8, 2009

So Sore


Six new (to me) areas in seven days.

Day 1 - Taylor's Falls, Minnesota

Didn't see as much as I wanted to, but this seems like a fun little area.  I climbed Mike's Left (V7) and blew my flash attempt of Cave Traverse in the dark and rain.  The rock is basalt and ranged from super slick to perfect fine gritty texture.

Nic warming up on Peeler's Rock a.k.a. Big Boy (V2?)

photo - Jeff Sillcox

Day 2 - Devil's Lake, Wisconsin

Steve and Katie showed us around for the afternoon.  The rock is purple quartz... enough said.  Some of the best rock I've ever climbed on.  I'm probably biased though since it was 40 degrees out and the friction was perfect.  I'm guessing I would feel a little different if it was warm out.

Steve coming very close on Massive Vertigo (V6/7/8ish)

photo - Jeff Sillcox

Nic getting ready to do his new problem Death of a Traveling Salesman (V5)

photo - Jeff Sillcox

This problem does not have a good landing.  I didn't get a good shot of it, but let's just say these pads aren't going to do much.



Nic running laps on Alpine Club (V9).  Purple rock!

photo - Jeff Sillcox

I came pretty close to doing Keymaker (V10/11ish).  Must go back... purple rock! You can read more about our day at Devil's Lake on Steve's blog.

Day 3 - Driving (with Nic in the 5.10 van so it doesn't actually qualify as a rest day)

Honeycrisp apples!


photo - Jeff Sillcox


Day 4 - Little Rock City, Tennessee

Apparently we didn't take any photos this day.  FAIL.  Great rock, fun problems, blah blah blah.  Best of the day was a 20+ foot V3ish slab.

Day 5 - Horse Pens 40, Alabama

Free breakfast courtesy of Five Ten


photo - Jeff Sillcox


Carlo cruising some V9 thing that I'm too lazy to look up the name of.


photo - Nic Oklobzija


I entered the Star Chaser category and finished 59 very good boulder problems for 112 stars.  It was just enough for 2nd place and I'm really psyched considering it was my first day at HP40.  Much better than trying to climb 10 hard problems in less than ideal temps.

Day 6 - Rocktown, Georgia

Me warm-up-flashing Nose Candy (V6).  I hate warming up with Nic.  I was so sore from HP40.  We did not last long.

photo - Nic Oklobzija

Day 7 - Dayton

This day hasn't actually happened yet.  I'm guessing we will suck because I can barely lift my arms right now.  So I'm off to bed and maybe we won't be lazy and take some photos and post later.

2 comments:

Justin said...

Suck it up pansy!

Unknown said...

What? no updated climbing pics from CO?