Thursday, October 25, 2007

Native American Summer


It used to be called "Indian Summer", but it still means the same thing: Southern CA is on fire and it's perfect conditions for some high altitude bouldering. Eric and I got our normal early start on Sunday despite the really cold temps and warmed up by battling out the second and third ascents of Tim Steele's Meadow Roof (V8). I added a few moves from the sit start to make it a little harder and I think both problems are worth a few stars. We finally met up with the lazy Bishop people in the afternoon and got shutdown by everything we tried. Here's some photos from Sunday...

Click the photo for the gallery

Eric cruising Meadow Roof (V8)
photos - Jeff Sillcox


I made it back up for a couple hours on Tuesday and put up three new problems. Pudge is a fun eight move V3 on perfect rock. Left El Plopper (V5) and Right El Plopper (V8) both climb a steep face and finish with the same topout. Wednesday afternoon was spent at Rock Creek and I finally managed to do Dude (V9) with a little beta from Wills. And finally, Thursday morning back at Way Lake. Tony Lamiche and Noah Kaufman got the 2nd and 3rd ascents of Wills' Wavecatcher (V10) and I came really close to doing it before I split a tip and had to sprint down the hill to get to work on time.

3 comments:

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abbie said...

I'll have to try this alleged "V3" in the spring and verify the grade... You strong climbers can't grade anything...

Jeff Sillcox said...

By "V3", I mean somewhere between V1 and V5...